When Glenn Taylor's great grandfather started the undertaking department of the Owensboro Livery Service in 1903, he could not know his humble beginning would one day become Daviess County's leading funeral service family. It's a home town family history-four generations dedicated to providing exceptional service. Taylor's Grandfather, Delbert J. Glenn, later joined with his father-in-law and together the two men earned a reputation for unequaled service, with Delbert J. Glenn acquiring full ownership in 1925.
Glenn Funeral Home became the pioneer of many 'firsts' in Kentucky funeral service. In 1925, Glenn's was Owensboro's first full-facility funeral 'home' as we know them today, and shortly thereafter, Mrs. Delbert J. Glenn became one of the first two female funeral directors in Owensboro. In 1956, Glenn's opened the very first lounge and refreshment room in a Kentucky funeral home-unheard of then, but common today-as nearly every funeral home picked up the idea.
Becoming the first 'combination' service organization in the state, the family-then Ira Taylor, Jr. and Lucy Glenn Taylor, who remains company chairman-acquired Owensboro Memorial Gardens cemetery in 1965 and that year built the first community mausoleum in Western Kentucky.
Glenn P. Taylor, fourth generation funeral director and president, directs the growth and development of Glenn Family Services. In 1982, the first crematory facility west of Louisville was opened. Meanwhile, the funeral home at Fourth and Allen streets was continually improved until 1989, when today's Glenn Funeral Home opened at Old Hartford Road and Breckenridge. The all-new facility included many firsts for the convenience of Daviess County families, most notably the first formal service chapel in any Owensboro funeral home.